As one of the top tropical holiday destinations in the world, Mauritius meets all your expectations for a sun, sea and sand getaway. The small island’s coastline also guards a variety of unique flora and fauna, as well as a rich culture and heritage, that makes it one of the most diverse destinations to explore.
It takes only one hour to drive from one end of the island to the other, and with two AccorHotels accommodations in Mauritius, you have remarkably easy access to sandy white beaches and dense greenery inland.
Slip into a comfortable pair of flops, grab your sunscreen and kick off the adventure of a lifetime with these activities while on holiday in Mauritius:
- Get caught in a net of wonder during an undersea excursion. Head into the crystal clear water around the island and spend an afternoon snorkelling or walking underwater – two popular holiday activities. Dive into the warm Indian Ocean waters and take in the awe-inspiring beauty of vibrant coral reefs, befriend schools of exotic fish swimming past and engross yourself in the mysticism of centuries-old shipwrecks.
- Mauritius boasts lush greenery, extraordinary birdlife and distinctive wildlife, giving the avid hiker an ideal excuse to trek through the tropical island. Follow the trail up Le Pouce and marvel at the breath-taking view of the capital, Port Louis, below.
- Discover Le Morne Cultural Landscape, a rugged mountain with steep cliffs and dense woodland that juts into the Indian Ocean in the southwest of Mauritius. Historically, this stretch of land was renowned for sheltering slaves who had escaped off the African coast.
- Pick a trail and explore the hilly Black River Gorges National Park, an ecosystem composed of humid upland forest, dry lowland woods and marshy heathland. Bird spotters will be delighted at the array of endemic fowl to behold.
- Hop on a bicycle and explore the old sugar estates, where you can discover the influence of the commodity through the ages. A melting pot of cultures, Mauritius is home to families who originated from the African mainland, south-east Asia and Europe. Interact with the locals and discover fascinating family history and tales of courage, diversity and harmony.
- Savour crunchy Gateaux Piments, sip a refreshingly sweet glass of alouda and be enticed by more local cuisine.
- Put your negotiation skills to the test at the bustling Central Market in Port Louis while the scents of local spices tickle your nose. Feast your eyes on local arts and crafts and be tempted to bite into colourful fresh fruit and vegetables on offer in the marketplace.
- Spoil yourself with trendy designer brands at bargain prices at Le Caudan Waterfront, then have a snack or indulge in a long meal at one of the many restaurants before rounding off your trip with a visit to the Blue Penny Museum.
The AccorHotels in Flic En Flac, Hotel Sofitel Mauritius l'Impérial Resort & Spa, on the west coast is what tropical dream holidays are made of. Rejuvenate yourself in the Asian style spa or soak up the sun on the beach right outside your room. However you decide to spend your day, Mauritius will inspire you to believe in fairy tales again.