All year long
The Plaza Mayor in Madrid dates back to the 15th century. At the time on this site there was a marketplace which supplied the nearby towns of Toledo and Atocha. King Felipe II oversaw the first stages of its renovation in 1580, and the initial stages of construction of the Casa de la Panadeira (the first part of a larger complex) began in 1590.
By 1992 the facade of this imposing structure was adorned with a huge fresco by Carlos Franco representing a number of mythological characters. Standing tall in the centre of the square, one can admire the equestrian statue of Felipe III, a work by Juan de Bolonia and Pietro Tacca.