The agricultural producer Luis Barolo landed in Argentina in 1890 and launched the weaving and cotton industries. When he met the architect Mario Palanti, he entrusted him with the task of building his dream house. The house remained the tallest in Buenos Aires until dethroned in 1936 by the Kavanagh building. He dedicated this structure made with reinforced concrete to the poet Dante Alighieri, author of The Divine Comedy. Indeed, the house is divided into three sections in a reference to the famous work.
The palace's construction began in 1919 in the Mayo avenue, today called the avenue Hipólito Yrigoyen. The building ascends 24 storeys reaching a height of 90 metres with its rotating flagship visible from Uruguay. A factory was specially designed to supply the building with electricity.
Nowadays, the Palacio Barolo is a business complex. The Palacio Salvo in Uruguay is a replica of this Argentinian palace.