The Manzana de las Luces (The Hamlet of the Enlightenment) located in the perimeter of Buenos Aires, already featured in the plans laid down for the city in 1580. This land came into the possession of the Jesuits in 1661 who erected a church, a college, a school for the study of literature, a pharmacy, a printing house and a general office for the Jesuit missions.
The San Ignacio College was established in 1662 and quickly became a meeting place for the city's intellectuals. To this day it is one of the most prestigious secondary schools in the city. The San Ignacio Church remains the oldest church in Buenos Aires.