The Cementerio de la Recoleta (Recoleta Cemetery) was founded by the Franciscan Congregation of Recoleta, alongside the Nuestra Señora del Pilar church and convent dating to the eighteenth century. The cemetery was expropriated by Bernardino Rivadavia's government and became Cementerio del Norte (the Northern Cemetery), the first public cemetery in Buenos Aires.
The cemetery underwent a facelift in 1880. Its alleys were paved and it was enclosed by walls. The entrance was embellished with Doric columns.
Nowadays, there are 6,000 graves in the cemetery including those of many famous Argentines such as Eva Perón, José Hernández and Adolfo Bioy Casares. The cemetery was declared a national historical museum in 1946.