It was the young architect Jean-Pierre Cluysenaer who had the idea, in the mid 19th century to refurbish a neighbourhood that had become rather undesirable. The city council were in favour of the project : the construction of a gallery with a glass roof that was more than 200 metres long.
Starting from la rue des Bouchers, it was made up of the King's gallery (to the East) and the Queen's gallery (to the West), then several years later by the Prince's gallery (that links the King's Gallery to the rue des Dominicains).
The galleries were opened by King Léopold Iin 1847, less than 2 years after having laid the first stone down with a golden trowel. They are the longest, tallest and, in particular, the best lit galleries in the world. They have been highly sucessful from day one and have, since they opened, always housed high-end shops to make them the most elegant place to go shopping in town.
All year long :
Every day, from 10:00 to 18:00